Comforting, filling and delicious are the words we use to describe our Gluten Free Crab & Green Onion Hush Puppies. Cornmeal, Gluten free flour, Crab & Fresh Green Onion are combined to make a perfect little Hush Puppy. Perfect for the Holidays.
I had never had a hush puppy until about 10 years ago. And the one I had was bland, bland, bland. However, we have a southerner in our Divinely Gluten Free Family, and she deserves Hush Puppies this christmas.
We started testing a basic recipe and decided to up the outcome a little. We decided Crab would go well with the cornmeal, and the sweetness of a hush puppy. We also felt that the green onion would balance that sweetness out with some savory for a wonderfully balanced appetizer.
We pair this with our Garlic Aioli which we make with a little black truffle essence, which makes it pretty addictive. When we serve these two together, they both go pretty quickly.
Gluten Free Crab & Green Onion Hush Puppies Recipe
- 3 Whole green onions
- 6 oz Crab meat
- 1 cup Divinely Gluten Free - Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Large egg beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- Canola Oil for frying
- Get a medium saucepan, skillet or deep fryer and add oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Mix Dry ingredients into a small bowl (cornmeal, gluten free flour blend, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder).
- In a larger bowl, put the milk and egg in and beat until well combined. Add the green onion and the crab and combine with the wet ingredients already in the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes to allow the batter to truly mix and the baking powder to begin working.
- When Oil has reached 350 degrees, begin to drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil and fry until golden brown, approx 4-5 minutes. If the top is not browning as quickly as the bottom, flip them about two minutes in.
- When hush puppies are golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels on a platter.
- Serve either warm or cold.
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free Hush Puppies with Crab & Green Onion Recipe”
What can I substitute the cornmeal and egg with to make this work. I’m dairy, soy and corn free as well as gluten free.
This sounds really delicious and would love to make them. Thanks, Kathy
I would try applesauce for the egg (1-1/2 tbsp per egg) and I would replace the corn with breadcrumbs. I believe the breadcrumbs will allow the texture to still maintain that crisp outer part. Let me know if it works.. because they are better than I expected them to be..