Comforting, filling and delicious are the words we use to describe our Gluten Free Crab & Green Onion Hush Puppies. Cornmeal, Gluten free flour, Crab & Fresh Green Onion are combined to make a perfect little Hush Puppy. Perfect for the Holidays.
I had never had a hush puppy until about 10 years ago. And the one I had was bland, bland, bland. However, we have a southerner in our Divinely Gluten Free Family, and she deserves Hush Puppies this christmas.
We started testing a basic recipe and decided to up the outcome a little. We decided Crab would go well with the cornmeal, and the sweetness of a hush puppy. We also felt that the green onion would balance that sweetness out with some savory for a wonderfully balanced appetizer.
We pair this with our Garlic Aioli which we make with a little black truffle essence, which makes it pretty addictive. When we serve these two together, they both go pretty quickly.
Gluten Free Crab & Green Onion Hush Puppies Recipe
- 3 Whole green onions
- 6 oz Crab meat
- 1 cup Divinely Gluten Free - Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Large egg beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- Canola Oil for frying
- Get a medium saucepan, skillet or deep fryer and add oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Mix Dry ingredients into a small bowl (cornmeal, gluten free flour blend, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder).
- In a larger bowl, put the milk and egg in and beat until well combined. Add the green onion and the crab and combine with the wet ingredients already in the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes to allow the batter to truly mix and the baking powder to begin working.
- When Oil has reached 350 degrees, begin to drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil and fry until golden brown, approx 4-5 minutes. If the top is not browning as quickly as the bottom, flip them about two minutes in.
- When hush puppies are golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels on a platter.
- Serve either warm or cold.