I am a great lover of Spinach, but my youngest is not. I am always on the lookout for ways of making spinach that my daughter will eat. Iron is important to anyone with Celiacs, or a leaky gut, so I wanted to include our Gluten Free Creamed Spinach Casserole in our recipe section for anyone willing to give it a whirl.
When my business partner found out I was testing this, she was a happy girl too. I like spinach just as spinach, but I am up for anyone’s favorite spinach recipe. This one uses bread crumbs, so we used our gluten free bread crumbs, and voila! Gluten Free Deliciousness.
The original recipe calls for sour cream. I routinely switch out sour cream for high quality probiotic yogurt. I used Fage yogurt in this recipe, but you can fall back on simple sour cream if you prefer. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Gluten Free Creamed Spinach Casserole
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 10 oz packages Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup Probiotic Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Large egg beaten
- 3/4 cup Divinely Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square baking dish (or a baking dish of approx size).
- In a medium skillet, place oil and heat to medium high. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes, add onion and continue to cook. I sometimes take some extra time to caramelize them to a lovely brown for added flavor.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained spinach, the cooked onion and garlic, the yogurt, cream cheese, milk, gruyere cheese, salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly Add the egg, beaten and mix again. Pour into greased baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the Divinely Gluten Free Bread Crumbs, the Parmesan cheese and the melted butter. Mix well and scatter over the top of the spinach mixture.
- Bake uncovered until the spinach is a little bubbly and the parmesan bread cumbs are golden brown. Approx 40-45 minutes.
So, how did yours turn out? Mine, well it was all gone – it is always all gone. I am going to try a vegan based spinach casserole in the future.. I am hoping it is as good as this is. Let me know what you think, and by all means, let me know if you tweaked it with something amazing I never would have thought of!