Did someone say we needed a Gluten Free Tuna Melt? Sometimes I just need a quick simple meal for dinner. As most of you know, living gluten free is not a convenience. Everything gets harder once you go gluten free. So, as we prepare to move home & our corporate offices 50 miles north of where we are located right now, I need a little ease in my life.
Gluten Free Tuna Melts
I did not have my first tuna melt until I passed the age of 50. It wasn’t planned, I just don’t like the idea of heating mayonnaise, for some reason, warm mayonnaise freaks me out a little. However, I had a daughter who wanted to try a tuna melt. So I started making them and found out that I did not mind a tuna melt in any way.
Tuna melts were a quick easy source of protein on a busy night. I always have tuna in the house. Always. So tuna melts made it onto the rotation of quick easy convenience meals. That kind of ended with our Celiac diagnosis. Tuna melts were no longer quick and inexpensive meals. Gluten Free Bread killed our tuna melts. Literally.
So, as we go through this little process of moving everything we own and the business, I decided Tuna Melts would be a good go to during the next six weeks. I decided to ditch the bread (the tiny little half slices of gluten free bread) and make it quesadilla style. Our new Gluten Free Tuna Melts were born.
Tuna Melts on Wraps!
With bread being such an issue (I’m working on it – I swear!), I felt like we need to step back and redesign the tuna melt a little. We adore wraps and found a brand that actually has a positive taste. We found Toufayan Bakeries Wraps in the Savory Spinach works best for us. The spinach gives it a little extra flavor that the plain ones just do not have.
We do more wraps than anything since going gluten free, because the wraps simply work better. They are a decent size, they are easy to work with and at six for just over three dollars, we can afford them!! We use our wraps for sandwiches and quesadillas and even for a quick and easy pizza. So it was natural to use them for a quick and easy Gluten Free Tuna Melt.
Gluten Free Tuna Melt Recipe
- 4 5oz can Solid White Tuna
- 1/4 cup diced onion 1/2 small to med onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup Hellman's Mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 slices american cheese
- 6 spinach flavored gluten free wraps
- Open and drain 4 cans solid white tuna. Place in a medium bowl and break up with a fork.
- Add diced onion, and celery. Add Mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Mix until mayonnaise is well incorporated. It will appear a little dry. That's ok, they mayonnaise will thin out as it heats.
- For each melt, you take one wrap and two slices of cheese. Split each cheese slice and arrange on each half so that top and bottom of melt will have melted cheese.
- Add 1/6 of the tuna to half of each wrap. Flatten and spread tuna over half the wrap.
- Fold top with cheese over onto the tuna half. Repeat until you have all wraps made.
- Place on a large cookie sheet and put in an oven preheated to 425 degrees. Cook for 6-10 minutes when cheese has melted and wrap is slightly browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Toufayan Gluten Free Wraps
A brief History of Melt Sandwiches