Growing up, we barely had ‘snacks’. My mother referred to snack food as empty calories. My father on the other hand, loved a snack now and then. I was inspired this month to create a gluten free blueberry coffee cake that would remind me of the joy of a drakes coffee cake snack.
My father loved a drakes coffee cake, and often he would sneak a box into the grocery cart when he took the whole clan to the A&P in Pearl River for saturday morning shopping. We would cheer when he got to the checkout line without my mother finding it. We knew we would be getting one too, because my father shared everything.
So, in honor of that probably not so wholesome treat, I worked hard to find a way to recreate that childhood wonder. We are hoping you enjoy our gluten free translation as much as we do. We do not get an hour out of a coffee cake here in the test kitchen. They smell that streusel topping and they know what is coming out of the ovens.
Divinely Gluten Free – Gluten Free Blueberry Cake Recipe
Gluten Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
Delicious coffee cake – Gluten free, chock full of blueberries and topped with a delicious Streusel topping. Yum!
Servings: 9 slices
Author: Divinely Gluten Free
- 1/2cup Divinely Gluten Free’s Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 5tbsp Butter
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 1mix Divinely Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 6tbsp canola oil
- 2large eggs
- 1/4cup water
- 1/2cup dried blueberries chopped
- Make the Streusel topping: Allow Butter to come to room temperature. Using a fork, cut butter into all the other combined ingredients (flour blend, sugar, cinnamon), until crumbly.
- Make the cake: combine wet ingredients in a medium size bowl. Add cake mix and blueberries. Combine until mixed. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 8×8 inch square cake pan. Drizzle streusel mix over the cake batter. Leave some spots uncovered.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approx 30 minutes.
Our Yellow Food Cake Mix used is this recipe is available online in our shop.